Dr. Moukhles’ lab focuses on the role of the dystroglycan multiprotein complex and its interaction with the extracellular matrix in the targeting and polarization of the water-permeable channel, aquaporin 4 to specialized membrane domains in astrocytes. Using a multidisciplinary approach applied to both in vitro and in vivo models, we are studying the mechanisms underlying aquaporin 4 localization in physiological and pathophysiological conditions including stroke.
BSc – University Mohamed V, Rabat, Morocco
MSc – University of Aix Marseille II, France
PhD – University of Aix Marseille II, France
PostDoc – University of Montreal
PostDoc – McGill University
- Noël G, Belda M, Guadagno E, Micoud J, Klöcker N, Moukhles H. 2005. Dystroglycan and Kir4.1 coclustering in retinal Müller glia is regulated by laminin-1 and requires the PDZ-ligand domain of Kir4.1.J. Neurochem. 94(3):691-702.
- Guadagno E and Moukhles H. 2004. Laminin-induced aggregation of the inwardly rectifying potassium channel, Kir4.1, and the water permeable channel, AQP4, via a dystroglycan-containing complex in astrocytes. Glia. 47 (2):138-49.
- Côté PD, Moukhles H, Carbonetto S. 2002. Dystroglycan is not required for localization of dystrophin, syntrophin, and neuronal nitric-oxide synthase at the sarcolemma but regulates integrin alpha 7B expression and caveolin-3 distribution. J. Biol. Chem. 277(7):4672-9.
- Moukhles H, Carbonetto S. 2001. Dystroglycan contributes to the formation of multiple dystrophin-like complexes in brain. J. Neurochem. 78(4):824-34.
- Moukhles H, Roque R, Carbonetto S. 2000. alpha-dystroglycan isoforms are differentially distributed in adult rat retina. J. Comp. Neurol. 420(2):182-94.
- Leschziner A, Moukhles H, Lindenbaum M, Gee SH, Butterworth J, Campbell KP, Carbonetto S. 2000. Neural regulation of alpha-dystroglycan biosynthesis and glycosylation in skeletal muscle. J. Neurochem. 74(1):70-80.
- Côté PD, Moukhles H, Lindenbaum M, Carbonetto S. 1999. Chimaeric mice deficient in dystroglycans develop muscular dystrophy and have disrupted myoneural synapses. Nat Genet. 23(3):338-42.