‘Think Beyond the Thesis’
The LSI-GSA is dedicated to helping trainees achieve the most out of their graduate education at UBC. The goal of this initiative is to provide opportunities for students to ‘think beyond the thesis’ and develop a well-rounded set of skills that will make them highly competitive in today’s job market. The events listed below include events are hosted within the LSI as well as other opportunities in collaboration with Graduate Pathways to Success (GPS) and Career Services.
Please check back for upcoming events.
Developing technical and soft skills
- Introduction to R workshop (in collaboration with Software carpentry)
- Networking (in collaboration with GPS)
We also highly encourage attendance to several great workshops hosted by GPS including:
- The Non-Academic Job Search for Graduate Students and Post docs
- Improving Presentations through Professional Feedback
- Getting on track with your thesis
- LSI Start-Up Competition
- Legal Bootcamp
- Q & A with Simon Pimstone, Founder, President & CEO, Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Q & A with Natalie Dakers, President & CEO, CDRD Ventures Inc.
- Introduction to thesis & career planning (in collaboration with GPS + Career services)
- Getting the Interview – How to Make Your Application Stand Out