Cytokines are immune hormones that help orchestrate the intricacies of the nature and intensity of an immune response to environmental and microbial challenges. Our lab is focused on the interleukin-7 cytokine family, which includes IL-7 and Thymic Stromal Lymphopoietin (TSLP). IL-7 is in several clinical trials for its immune reconstitution properties in HIV-AIDS, bone marrow transplants and cancer immunotherapy. IL-7 is an essential survival cytokine for several immune cell types (T-, B-, innate lymphoid cells and iNKT cells) such that loss of IL-7 or its receptor causes severe combined immunodeficiency.
Our projects range from:
- Dissecting novel IL-7 roles in T effector cell function against pathogens, namely Influenza/A and Listeria monocytogenes
- Evaluating their potential in boosting memory T cell specificity to Influenza/A
- Determining the barrier integrity role of these cytokines in airway immunity
- Detailing their role in B cell development both in bone marrow progenitors as well as in various peripheral B cell subsets; we are interested in the role of IL-7 signals in functional B cell responses to mount antibody responses to Influenza/A
- Using genetic, knock-in and conditional knockout disruption approaches to assess what IL-7 receptor signals are critical for supporting T- and B progenitors and mature lymphocytes
- We are interested in how we can target signals from the IL-7R for therapeutic benefit.
- Patton, D.T., Plumb, A.W. and Abraham, N.. The survival of pro-B cells and differentiation of pre-B cells in the bone marrow is dependent on IL-7Rα Y449.. J. Immunol. In press.
- Patton, D.T., Plumb, A.W., Redpath, S.A., Osborne, L.C., Perona-Wright, G. and Abraham, N. (2014). The development and survival but not function of follicular B cells is dependent on IL-7Rα Tyr449 signaling.. PLoS ONE 9 (2) 2014: e88771. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0088771.
- Plumb AW , Patton DT , Seo JH , Loveday EK , Jean F , Ziegler SF , Abraham N. (2012). Interleukin-7, but not thymic stromal lymphopoietin, plays a key role in the T cell response to influenza A virus.. PLoS One. 7(11)
- Zhang J , Chen Z , Fritz JH , Rochman Y , Leonard WJ , Gommerman JL , Plumb AW , Abraham N , Croy BA. (2012). Unusual timing of CD127 expression by mouse uterine natural killer cells. Journal of leukocyte biology. 91(3)
- Huang Y , Park Y , Wang-Zhu Y , Larange A , Arens R , Bernardo I , Olivares-Villagómez D , Herndler-Brandstetter D , Abraham N , Grubeck-Loebenstein B , Schoenberger SP , Van Kaer L , Kronenberg M , Teitell MA , Cheroutre H. (2011). Mucosal memory CD8⁺ T cells are selected in the periphery by an MHC class I molecule. Nature immunology. 12(11)
- Osborne LC , Patton DT , Seo JH , Abraham N. (2011). Elevated IL-7 availability does not account for T cell proliferation in moderate lymphopenia.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 186(4)
- Lai JC , Wlodarska M , Liu DJ , Abraham N , Johnson P. (2010). CD45 regulates migration, proliferation, and progression of double negative 1 thymocytes.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 185(4)
- Osborne LC , Duthie KA , Seo JH , Gascoyne RD , Abraham N. (2010). Selective ablation of the YxxM motif of IL-7Ralpha suppresses lymphomagenesis but maintains lymphocyte development.. Oncogene. 29(26)
- Osborne LC , Abraham N. (2010). Regulation of memory T cells by γc cytokines.. Cytokine. 50(2)