With more than 15,000 faculty and staff, UBC is one of British Columbia’s largest workforces. It is also one of the most progressive, consistently recognized as one of BC’s best employers. As UBC’s largest Life Sciences Institute, the LSI has numerous faculty and staff opportunities. Whether you’re a prospective hire wanting to pursue a career at UBC, or already part of the UBC community and looking for other opportunities, we encourage you to visit and apply at UBC Human Resources.
This page is for posting job opportunities in LSI labs, startups, and research groups, as well as relevant positions in the industry. Please complete the form below to post your job. This is a free service.
Analyzing sequencing data, matching mutations to cancer subtypes, general molecular biology research/bioinformatics. All work is done via internet so a physical presence is not required.
Salary:$30-35 per hr
Contact Name: Alex Rolland
Job Title: Lab Manager
Lab/Company name:GenXys Health Care Systems
GenXys Health Care Systems, a biotechnology company offering personalized medicine is hiring a full time Laboratory Manager.
• Oversee all aspects of running the laboratory and day-to-day activities
• Confirms that the appropriate quality assurance is followed for all laboratory procedures and quality control records are maintained
• Maintaining lab inventory, facility requirements, equipment and repair
• Experience in writing and editing SOPs
• Troubleshooting and testing of developmental workflows
• Analysis of experiments and genetic data collection
• Record and interpret test results to team members
• Minimum education Master's in genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, or related fields; experience level required 3-5 years
• Experience with DNA purification, qPCR experiments DNA quantitation, sequencing or other molecular biology techniques
• Ability to be flexible and support other responsibilities as needed
Contact Name: Diana Dawes
Phone:604 827 4185
Job Title: Project Manager
Lab/Company name:Evonik Canada Inc.
In collaboration with the other project managers for cross-functional projects, this individual is responsible for the management of projects for the Analytical/QC group.
• Partners with clients to drive programs to milestones Keeps client informed of project budget, timelines, and milestones and any other information that may affect the outcome of the project. Ensures that the client receives results, reports, and other communication in a timely manner.
• Creates and manages (initiate, plan, execute, control, close) project plans utilizing project management tools based on project goals as stated in the technical proposal and input from the business team.
• Communicates project status, risk, revenue forecasting and changes to internal and external stakeholders.
• Serves as the primary representative to lead project discussions during on-site and off-site meetings with clients.
• Responsible for ensuring the project as executed adheres to the terms of the project contract
• In conjunction with the Site Controller, provides project progress report to facilitate monthly and annual forecasts of current and potential project revenues to aid finance and senior management in preparing corporate financial goals and estimating operating budgets.
• Prepares Service Schedules/project contracts.
• BSc with 7+ years or post-graduate with 5 years of project management experience in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology environment.
• PMP certification is an asset
• Demonstrated ability to utilize project management tools and ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders.
• Well organized and strong attention to detail with ability to prioritize multiple project deliverables
• Proficiency using MS office application and/or other project management software
• Self-driven and proactive
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
Contact Name: Cathy Sindon
Job Title: Post Doctoral Fellowship
Lab/Company name:Sadowski, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
A postdoctoral fellowship position is available to participate in research examining mechanisms regulating HIV provirus latency and development of novel therapies for purging latently infected cells from patients. The successful candidate will hold a PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or a related field, and have experience with human cell and/ or virus culture and a variety of molecular biology technologies. The individual will be expected to develop an independent research project towards the overall goals of the laboratory, and participate in regular meetings and journal clubs as well as contribute to supervision of junior lab members. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a requirement along with an ability to work within a team environment. The project is funded by a CIHR operating grant, and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Contact Name: Ivan Sadowski
Job Title: Postdoc position available in neuronal pattern formation
Lab/Company name:Mizumoto lab
Mizumoto lab in the Life Science Institute is looking for a motivated postdoctoral fellow.
The successful candidate will conduct research in neuronal patterning using C. elegans as a model system. Applicants are required to hold a PhD in one of the following fields: molecular biology; genetics; developmental biology; neuroscience and with strong interests in understanding the mechanisms underlying neuronal pattern formation. Experience in basic and advanced genetics, microscopy and molecular biology is strongly preferred. Experience with C. elegans is not required. Excellent scientific writing skills are also essential.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out experiments and data analysis in an independent manner. They are also expected to present results at laboratory meetings, participate in journal club presentations, supervise graduate and undergraduate students, play an active role in developing research proposals, and writing manuscripts for publication. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a necessity as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
The position is supported by CIHR funding. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae with the contact information of three referees and a summary of research interests by email to: Kota Mizumoto firstname.lastname@example.org
The position will be available immediately but the start date can be flexible. Until a suitable candidate is appointed – this job opening will remain open.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Contact Name: Kota Mizumoto